Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ole DC

I went to our nations capital this weekend. Turns out it was Easter, didn't plan on that but hey, that's what happens when you don't look at a calendar.

I flew. I like to fly. I think it is fun to be in the air. You can meet interesting people. The people watching is great! I like airplanes in general.
These pictures show my major annoyances with people in airports. ATTENTION PEOPLE: you will get on the airplane, please remain calm. Why after the first, "boarding for flight 1129 to wherever will begin shortly" do people jump up from their comfortable seats, cram around the ticket counter, and spill into the hallway of the terminal? This is Delta people you have a boarding zone. it is printed on your boarding pass. you won't get on the plane in a zone that is before yours. you are blocking the way for others to get buy. you are making it difficult for people to walk through the airport. why is this so hard to figure out???? The other annoyance is the giant carry-ons people bring. I know half didn't fit in the little box. Just check your damn bag, there is a big area below our seats that is designed to hold all our stuff. And then you don't have to trip people as you roll your bag through the airport!!

After I arrived bro and I went to meet some of his friends for happy hour. We went to this cool bar called Galaxy Hut. It had a hog feeder in the back that was cut so you could sit inside like a little room. Really neat place. Sorry, no pictures. I don't take pictures of bro's friends without permission, it is DC after all.

At a burger joint, BGR, they had this soda machine. It was a cooperative effort between Coke and Ferrari. It was fun.

The trees were amazing. Bro said these are magnolia trees. Maybe he's right, I don't know. They were every where. I missed the cherry blossoms.

Because it was Easter, bro suggested we go to the Easter Eve service at Georgetown. As he said, "it starts out with a bonfire and they're real live Jesuits, it's actually pretty cool." He was right, but I'm not sure if there is another service with fake dead Jesuits.
The little courtyard was pretty. The petals on the ground made it look like it had snowed pink snow.
The chapel was smaller than I was expecting. It was interesting. I'd never done the whole Catholic routine before. They actually baptized and confirmed some adults. I've always joked about Catholic services with all the stand, sit, stand, kneel, sit, stand, sit, stand, stand, kneel, sit. you get the idea. After the first sit, stand, sit, bro leaned over and said, "fight fight fight." Ever heard that, "stand up sit down fight fight fight" from some kind of cheer? Yes, at 32 and 36 we still act like we are 8 and 12 in church. We make shadow puppets, heat the candles so we can bend them, and comment about people under our breath. We haven't been struck by lightning yet, oh wait.

Easter morning we went to the Udvar-Hazy Center. It is the Air and Space Museum annex. I love walking in to this view of the SR-71. Such an impressive machine.
We also, were able to see Enterprise before it leaves for good. It looks like an orbiter but isn't. It was used as a test vehicle during the design of the Space Transportation System. It is still very impressive. Bro was surprised how big it was in person.
Here he is standing underneath the tail cone. Normally you'd see the engines but this is put on when they will ferry it to a new location. It helps reduce drag as it rides on top of the 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. Below is a better picture.

When I first saw an orbiter in person I was surprised how thick the camber of the wing is. I'm talking about the curve, under the flag above.
Mercury and Shuttle together. Both amazing in their own right. I'd fly either in a second if I could. If you have any questions about the pictures, ask. I tried to keep all the technical details out for my readers with a short attention span. However, I doubt you made it this far.
This is a house in bro's hood. They all look this amazing.

2 comments:

  1. pink snow!!!!!!!!!! sounds like a fun trip, I'm a little jealous over here

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people who line up at airports make no sense to me. The seats are assigned! I always wait till the last minute to board.

    ReplyDelete