Thursday, April 19, 2012

I Rocked the Parkway


I ran the Rock the Parkway half marathon, or pikermi, over the weekend. Going into this block of training I wanted to run another personal record. The PR didn't happen but it was a good time. Well, I ran a time I was happy with and I enjoyed the race.
It was warmer than I was expecting. Probably around 70 degrees. Also, it rained the night before so the humidity was high and the roads were wet and slick. I was expecting a relatively flat course and that didn't happen either.
As the race started I did my best to hold back my pace. I have difficulty not being caught up in the moment of the start and running too fast. At mile one I realized I needed to slow down. I watched the clock for the first few miles and settled into a good rhythm.
I made a decision to skip the first aid station, as I was feeling good. Also, skipped the second. This doesn't really save much time but it does cut down on the stress of grabbing a cup, fighting the people, and trying to maintain pace. I've run plenty of 13 milers without water so I knew I could skip a few.
Around half way I started trying to turn things up. Somewhere in here is when another runner passed me. At this point in races I generally am not passed. That happens plenty at the beginning but towards the end I try to pick people off. After picking up the pace and passing this lady things were looking good. Until she passed me again. Turned things up again and got in front of her.
Mile 10 presented all of us with a big climb. About a half mile of an unrelenting ever increasing elevation. I'm a decent hill climber. I thought for sure this would put a gap between me and my chosen opponent. Not the case, this lady was a challenge but it's always fun to have someone to race.
Mile 11 I started pushing harder, mile 12 even harder. Next thing I notice, lady is in front of me AGAIN, and hauling the mail like I couldn't believe. Never caught her even with my 6:51 pace.
Last 0.1 of a mile I gave it my all for a 5:55 pace but was about 10 feet too slow.
Race ended with an official chip time of 1:41:49.7
And here is the data from the race.

1 comment: