Tuesday, February 14, 2012

What's in my Pockets

Thirteen days ago my pal, @ridiculousnikki, posted what's in her purse. She asked her readers to tell her what was in their bag. Being that I don't carry a bag unless I am traveling and it is a suitcase I asked her if she would like to know What's in my Pockets. Turns out she did want to know, so here it goes.

I have different items in my pockets depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going. I'm sticking to the most common 3 occasions. These 3 cover about 98%* of my pocket life and I don't feel getting more complicated or answering any questions that the other 2%* might entail.


First up we have my casual daily wear jean pockets.
Wallet: I use a minimalist wallet. I carry 3 cards, license, sometimes some cash, maybe my gym ID, SAMs membership, odd receipt and such.
Phone: iPhone 4 that "doesn't have an antenna issue" but for some reason needs a case to work. I'm still irritated about that, Apple.
Lip balm: ChapStick Moisturizer or Medicated. I like the medicated better but I find it difficult to find.
Change: 4 quarters and a Presidential Dollar Coin. I like having a bit of change in my pockets. It helps prevent a $10 parking ticket on occasion. The quarter thing started in middle school. Mom always sent Bro and I to school with a quarter so we could call home if we needed to. That was back when cell phones were in a huge bag and pay phones were still in the schools and they cost 25 cents to place a call. The PDC I carry because almost everything costs over a dollar and the coin is easier to carry than a wadded up dollar bill or 4 additional quarters. I wish we'd just stop printing dollar bills altogether. Coins are so much more economical.
Car key: My car is a push to start ignition. IT IS AWESOME.
Mint: Life Saver mint. I like these but don't buy them. I pick one up at the accountant and at dance class. Sometimes I have one in my pocket sometimes I don't. I can't stand the red and white mints, they are too sweet.
Morgan Silver Dollar: This is a 7 tail-feather 1881 Morgan Silver Dollar minted in San Francisco. It was given to me by a roommate that worked at a bank. I started carrying it because of a story BF told me about his grandfather carrying one everyday. By the end it was a worn smooth piece of silver**. Thought it was neat so I started carrying this one. It's starting to wear a hole through my pocket and people think the imprint is something else. I need to learn how to patch my pocket.


Work pockets. I'm going to skip the repeats.
Work keys: 3 PO box keys, work door key, and one I don't know what it is for.
Knife: Ka Bar MULE pocket knife. It is really really sharp.


Suit pockets for church.
Handkerchief: Irish linen, every guy should carry one when he wears a suit. Just because.

There you have it. That is what is in my pockets.



*All stats are within the statistical error of my own made up perception.
**That's the way I remember the story. Some details might be wrong.

photos by me and illustration uncredited from the world wide web

1 comment:

  1. ha! thanks for indulging me, Rob. I find it fascinating that you have designated pocket-contents for specific activities/pants.

    ReplyDelete