Monday, February 6, 2012

Groundhog 2012


A couple Sundays ago was my almost annual running of the TLC's Groundhog 10k. It is almost annual because Stephen and I missed it for his wedding reception last year. I think that is an excused absence.

The race is held underground in the Hunt Midwest Subtropolis. It was a giant limestone mine that has been turned into the largest underground business complex (according to the owners). It has a post office and a bunch of businesses built in this thing. And roads. Yes, roads underground that are big enough for semis! You can watch a little promo video on that link up there and see a truck in this thing to give you an idea of the size. I bet you're thinking something like, 'wow semis under ground. that is big.' Well it gets bigger, areas have TRAIN TRACKS. BIG.

In a place that big why not have a race at the end of January. They hold a 5k and a 10k. The 5k is one lap of the place and the 10k is 2 laps. In terms of racing it is a great place. 60-65 degrees, virtually completely flat, no wind. It really makes for an amazing experience. My only two faults for it are a couple tight turns that we have to take and a sewage smell in one area that lasts for about 25 meters.

Stephen and I arrive an hour or so before the start so we can pick up our packets, pin our numbers, and warm up. I also had some quality time checking out a lady that I was too chicken to talk to until after the race. I think she was too young anyway.

Our plan was to not blow out the first few miles and pick up the pace to the end. When we started my legs didn't really get moving and Stephen was out in front of me quickly. I got up to speed and kept the distance between us constant for a few miles. Other runners around me were stomping, panting, gasping, falling back, and just generally losing it. I have noticed in a certain range of paces you have the people that have been running for awhile yet haven't figured out how to start at a sustainable pace. I used to do this and eventually they'll learn.

Around mile 4 I started to notice I wasn't in good shape. Mile 5 I slowed pathetically but was able to start to pick it back up right at the end. Stephen finished ahead of me in 117th place with a time of 45:11.8. And I ended up finishing 149th in 46:50.1. In our age group we were 21st and 25th. A total of 1172 people ran the 10k against us.

Now for a few pictures. These below are interesting just because you can see one complete stride in the series. I like seeing how I run. How I think I run vs how it looks. How much I swing my arms. How my feet land. I can see why my soles wear out the way they do. I still need to get my elbows in and swing my arms only forward and back. I have too much cross body motion.


And now for the ladies, you can drool over a picture of Stephen and his awesome legs. Just be careful to not drool directly into your keyboard. And he is TAKEN, so don't ask. Also, his W will kill you then I will.
photos copied from Action Sports Images, LLC

4 comments:

  1. this is the running-fella equivalent of our mirror-portraits, innit?

    (inappropriate quad-evaluation goes here)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "around MILE 4 i started to notice i wasn't in good shape."

    is that supposed to be sarcasm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of anything I'd want to see LESS than photos of myself running. But you don't look awkward at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @lauren, mirror-portraits maybe?

    @Celia, not sarcasm. I really was falling apart.

    @nikki, keeps us humble.

    ReplyDelete