Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gobble Gobble

Happy Thanksgiving 2011. I'm thankful for life, my family, my friends and of course my readers!

My day started out with a 7.8 mile run with my BF and BFW. The run was cold at first but after a mile I realized I was much to over-dressed. I told them about being creeped on at a bar, which was fun. The creeping and telling of said creeping was fun.

Bro arrived around noon and we hit the road to the Northland. We ended up being tasked with what seemed to be a wild goose chase. We eventually found the cream of mushroom soup but not without having to visit walmart. walmart on Thanksgiving day in a small town is interesting. The people were either really friendly, happy, and into the day; or really pissed off at life.

We arrived at Gow Gow's and discussed the usual things first. These include but are not limited to politics, the turkeys in the back yard, the deer in the back yard, the squirrls getting into the bird feeders, leaves covering the yard, what tree is dying, the rental houses on the farm, health issues, and other various items.

As the cooking was progressing along the big issue was when would the turkey be done. Now Gow Gow is 95. She has been cooking for a few years now, she started at age 8 when her mother died. I'm not sure how long she has been cooking turkeys but every year the discussion becomes at what temperature is the turkey done. At one point my mom, aunt, and Gow Gow are all standing around the open oven saying things like 'do you think it is done?' 'is 160 hot enough?' 'where are you supposed to stick the thermometer?' After this went on for some time I said, "I don't think it will cook very fast if we stand around the oven with the door open." This was not exactly viewed favorably but it got the job done. The oven was promptly closed and Gow Gow opened her giant cooking binder that can't even be closed, flipped to the T section and pulled out her notes on turkeys. Now, I noticed a period of time longer then my life the temperature at which a turkey is done has ranged from 160 to 190. However, all agreed upon the location where one should check the temperature, stuffing and the inner thigh. (i like to check the temperature at the inner thigh myself) After another 30 minutes in the oven I tested the turkey and informed everyone of the temperature. After discussion it was deemed done and out he came.

Bro was tasked with carving the turkey.

While Gow Gow sat, I drank wine took pictures and helped on the gravy, Aunt Ann fixed the salad, and Uncle Tom watched.

Before we ate Bro said a very good prayer. It hit all the major points Granddad used to: thanks for providing, thanks for family present and away, let us make good decisions, help the politicians make good choices. Basic yay god boo devil kind of stuff.

We always have pecan and pumpkin pie for dessert. I only eat pumpkin as I find pecan too sweet. Gow Gow makes her own whipped cream. She puts some powdered sugar and vanilla extract in and it makes it better than heaven in your mouth. Also, I don't drink coffee much but Gow Gow only drinks it from a true coffee CUP and saucer so I think I have to for the sake of tradition.

Also, Mom had her cast taken off so now she is just in a splint with her pins sticking out of her finger. Cats are dangerous.

You are all welcome to come next year if you'd like!

No comments:

Post a Comment